Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

I'm going to let you guys in on a not-so-little secret about me...I love Valentine's Day. Actually I love any holiday that gives me an excuse to dress up in a themed outfit. It's a whole day where it's socially acceptable to leave my apartment wearing a costume, and I love it. Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, New Years, etc. I'm all over it. I wear red and green for a solid week every Christmas. I'm the proud owner of candy cane printed sneakers, black cat earrings, and light up shamrock glasses.

Obviously, I love all holidays, in an admittedly ridiculous way, but Valentine's Day has always held a special place in my heart (pun intended). I know there are a lot of people who like to hate on Valentine's Day, and I get it, it sort of blows some times, but I think the idea of a day dedicated to love is absolutely, for lack of a better word, lovely. It's not that I need a special day to know that I'm loved because I know that the people who love me, do so every day and I hope that they know I love them everyday too. It's just a day dedicated to celebrating that love, and I think that's wonderful.

This is not to say that I take Valentine's Day to be an entirely serious holiday. I mean, how can a holiday that involves Spongebob greeting cards be viewed seriously? I take Valentine's Day with a grain of salt. I love it and I proudly celebrate it, but I don't force it on others. I look at Valentine's Day the same way I look at birthdays. You're allowed to make a big deal about it if you want to, but no one can make you celebrate it and no one gets to be mad at you if you're super psyched about it.

Valentine's Day is an admittedly silly holiday, and I accept that. I'm not deluding myself into thinking that having a date on February 14 is the end all-be all of my existence, because it isn't. Honestly, it just comes down to the fact that I enjoy celebrating things for the sake of celebrating. Who doesn't love a good celebration? What's not to adore about a day where I can feel totally justified in wearing a pretty red dress and stuffing my face with chocolate?

All of that being said, I'm really excited about what the boyfriend and I are doing tonight! I love going to see ironic movies on holidays that are supposed to be super romantic. For example, last Valentine's we saw "The Woman In Black" with Daniel Radcliffe and on our anniversary in September, we watched "The Campaign" with Will Ferrell and Zach Galifinakis (no idea if I spelled that right). So following this trend, tonight, we are going to watch "Warm Bodies", that new zombie movie. It looks like it should be pretty good in a dark humor kind of way.

How do you guys feel about V-Day? Love it, hate it? Any exciting plans for tonight? Let me know in the comments!
Til Next Time,
Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment